34. ( Passore province) Self-management of a bicycle park and academic upgrading for distant and destitute students in Gaoua
Duration: 2 years
Promotor: The paysannat Association
Beneficiaries: Bicycle rental: 25 (+5 each year)
School catch-up: 100 poor students
Total budget: 9.967 €
Outside financing sought: 9.453 €
Located in the northern region of Burkina Faso, Passoré province is one of the provinces in the country with the lowest enrolment rate, i.e. below the national average of 56%. The lack of financial resources to pay school fees, the lack of means of transport to cover long distances between schools and pupils’ places of residence, the lack of facilities in schools and the absence of a canteen in some schools explain this relatively high school absenteeism.
Since 2002, ASSO-PA, first with the help of the Yaguine & Fodé Message Fund and then IDAY, has been facilitating access to the Yako Provincial School for 25 children living more than 5 km from the school by renting bicycles. These bicycles are loaned to students selected according to their distance from school, their family’s income level and their academic abilities. Having found that girls receiving this assistance did not improve their academic performance because their families used the time saved on the journey by imposing additional household chores on them, remedial classes were imposed on them, which were then extended to all the poor children in the school.
To directly support the maintenance of the bicycle fleet and extend it to other children, ASSO-PA proposes to generate income through the sale of fattened oxen.
More specifically, a person experienced in cattle fattening will be responsible for fattening beef purchased by Asso-PA. These oxen will then be sold to generate income that will be redirected to the purchase and maintenance of bicycles and the payment of teachers giving remedial classes. The sale of these cattle will eventually ensure the project’s self-financing.
During the implementation of the project, the members of the Asso-PA will organize various events such as conferences to raise the government’s awareness of this method of school reintegration and convince it to generalize the approach at the national level.
Contribute to increasing the secondary school enrolment and success rate in the province of Passoré.
– Support secondary school education for at least 25 children disadvantaged by distance from home and low income in grade 1, and 5 additional children each year through cattle fattening;
– Ensure the academic success of beneficiaries of bicycles and other disadvantaged children by financing the costs of remedial courses;
– Generalization of the approach at the national level.
– Increase in secondary school enrolment rates;
– Improvement of academic results through remedial classes.
During the first year of the project:
– 5 oxen will be stamped and sold to finance the maintenance of the existing bicycle fleet.
During the second year:
-10 oxen will be stamped and sold to finance the purchase of additional bicycles.